Angry Words

The book of James is one of the first letters (outside of Galatians) written in the New Testament. James, a leader of the Jerusalem Council (Acts 15) and older brother of Jesus (Matthew 13:55), wrote to the twelve tribes, Jewish Christians, that were dispersed abroad (1:1). James wrote as a pastor to instruct and encourage dispersed believers in their trials and difficulties.

I think a key verse for the book of James comes from 2:12,

So speak and as act at those who are judged by the law of liberty.

What is the "law of liberty"? The Jewish Christian was no longer bound to the Mosaic law. Can you imagine how radical this was for a Jewish believer? When they heard the word "law" they must have instinctively thought about all 613 Old Testament commandments. However, they were now called to abide by a new law, the "perfect law, the law of liberty" (1:25, 2:12). Jesus ushered in a new kingdom! Think of the freedom (from the law) that Christ bought for His people! Jewish Christians had to completely transform their way of thinking. They were no longer bound to a law of fleshly circumcision, but rather, they became a part of a new circumcision - that which is "of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter" (Romans 2:29). God was recreating a new people for His own possession that would be regenerated by the power of the Holy Spirit!

In Galatians, Paul echoed the same radical truth,
It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you . . . For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another. But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh." (Galatians 5;1-2, 13-16)
I find it interesting that both Paul and James emphasized the same message to those early believers. They both affirmed the coming of a new kingdom of Christ ("the law of liberty") yet they urgently warned their readers about the dangers of the flesh in this new found freedom.

Much of the book of James consists of warnings about the tongue, "a restless evil full of deadly poison" (James 3:8). In chapter one, James urged his readers to be "quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger" (1:19). Why? "For the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless" (James 1:20, 26).

Our speech is a sure sign of spiritual maturity. "From the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God" (James 3:10, 9). Are we quick to become angry? Are we fast and loose with our words? Our mouths are a direct reflection of what is in our heart. "For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of" (Luke 6:45). Are we more inclined to carry out the desires of the flesh (Galatians 5:16-21) or that which comes from above (Galatians 5:22-26)?

My all time favorite passage of Scripture comes from the book of James:
Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering and without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. (James 3:13-18)
Beloved Christian, "speak and as act at those who are judged by the law of liberty" (2:12). Speak wisdom, grace, and truth to one another out of love. Sow seeds of grace. We must be a people who are careful with our words. As James said, we must be "quick to hear and slow to speak" (1:19).

The quote below by Paul Tripp in regards to our speech is lengthy, but it is WELL worth the read,
If your words are moving in a death direction, they will be words of anger, malice, slander, jealousy, gossip, division, contempt, racism, violence, judgment, and condemnation. Your words have direction to them. When you hear the word "talk" you ought to hear something that is high and holy and significant and important . . . Are you prepared to make this essential confession with me: “I am my greatest communication problem. The greatest difficulty, the greatest danger, and the everyday traps of communication that we all fall into all exist inside of me, not outside of me.” . . . People aren’t my problem. Situations are not my problem. Circumstances are not my problem. Locations are not my problem. My problem is in my heart. It’s only when you and I stand before our Redeemer and are humbly willing to say, regardless of the flawed people that you live with and the fallen world that is your address, that you are your greatest communication problem, that you are heading in a direction of fundamental biblical change in your world of talk . . .  Sin makes me obsessed with my wants, my needs, my feelings. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I want. I tend to live in the claustrophobic confines of my own little self-defined world. I was not designed to live that way. I was created to live in the big-sky country of the glory of the kingdom of God with expansive borders beyond anything I could imagine or want for myself. My life was structured to be directed not so much by my desire for me but by the desires of Another for me. But I not only want to live in my little kingdom, I also want to co-opt the people around me into service of my kingdom . . . It is important to get this truth, because it is only when I love God above all else that I will love my neighbor as myself. It’s only when God is in the rightful place in my life that I will treat you with the love that I have received from him. Brothers and sisters, hear this: "You don’t first fix language problems, communication problems, and word problems horizontally; you first fix them vertically." ("Getting to the Heart of Your Words," Desiring God National Conference, 2008)
Give grace to those around you. "Put on love which is the perfect bond of unity", and "whatever you do in WORD or DEED, do all in the the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father . . . Let your speech always be filled with grace." (Colossians 3:14, 17; 4:6). "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:29, 31-32)

Heavenly Father, help me to use my tongue wisely for the glory of Your praise. May I not become "self deceived" (James 1:16). Help me to be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger. Help me to speak and act in such a way that honors You. 

"Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." (Psalm 141:3)

Comments

Popular Posts