Blessing Our Enemies

Let love be without hypocrisy . . . Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse . . . Never pay back evil for evil to anyone . . . If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, " says the Lord. But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 12:9-21


Such a profound and often difficult truth, isn't it?

The Lord has been continually bringing this scripture to mind as I have been praying for wisdom in dealing with "enemies" - people that hurt me. Instead of praying for repentance, love, grace and perhaps even vengence upon those hurting me, the Lord has graciously changed my heart to start praying for spectacular blessings upon their life.

How can I do this?
Through Christ and the power of the Spirit!
Why would I want to do this?
Because Christ said it is GOOD to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44). And he goes on further, “For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?” (Matthew 5:46)

In my endless quest for godly wisdom, God has proven Himself quite marvelous once again. Wisdom . . . perhaps it is, indeed, the continual death of self (Colossians 3:3) and
the magnificent glorification of God through His children.

Bless my enemies, Lord . . . Truly overwhelm them with Your loving kindness. Help me to love without hypocrisy and to pray for them without ceasing. Transform me more and more into the image of my elder brother, Christ Jesus. Give me a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience and forgiveness. May the PEACE and WORD of Christ rule in my heart.

Thank you, dear Father, for setting Your affection and blessings upon me, an (former) enemy of the cross.

Comments

Popular Posts