Year 47 Reflections

Today I celebrate another year of God’s grace.

This past year (year 47) was incredibly hard. Like Jonah, I felt the “waters close in over me to take my life, the deep surrounded me; weeds were wrapped about my head at the roots of the mountains”. Like Job, I wrestled with God’s goodness - “Oh that my vexation were weighed, and all my calamity laid in the balances! For then it would be heavier than the sand of the seas … What is my strength, that I should wait? And what is my end, that I should be patient? … My spirit is broken.” And like David, I felt shamed, afflicted, and forgotten in the “shadow of the valley of death” (Psalm 23).

My soul has been excluded from peace;
 
I have forgotten happiness.
So I say, “My strength has failed,
And so has my hope from the Lord.”
Lamentations 3:17-18


Our church is currently studying through the Book of Psalms. It has been manna for a hungry soul, a fount of wisdom & help, and an overflowing harvest of hope & peace. I can’t begin to count the many times I have recited verses over & over & over again – to overpower the darkness with LIGHT & TRUTH. My soul has been specifically encouraged with the HOPE of “waiting”. He, who is faithful, has promised to guard & deliver His children and not put them to shame (Psalm 25).

Therefore, I wait.
The Lords acts of mercy indeed do not end,
For His compassions do not fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,

“Therefore I wait for Him.”

The Lord is good to those who await Him,
To the person who seeks Him.
It is good that he waits silently
For the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 3:21-26


So, I wait.
I hope.

From the belly of darkness, I will proclaim with Jonah, "Yet, you brought my life from the pit, O Lord my God. When my life was fainting away, I REMEMBERED the Lord …" I will lift up my voice and sing the refrain of Psalm 130:5-7: "I wait for the Lord, My soul waits, and in His Word, I HOPE. My soul waits for the Lord … O Israel, HOPE in the Lord! For with the Lord there is steadfast love and with Him there is plentiful redemption." And like doubting Thomas as he gazed upon the LIVING Christ, my soul will exclaim, “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28) Hope is NOT lost! Light overpowers darkness! "No power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His [trustworthy] hand."

Is He worthy?
Of all blessing & honor & glory?
Is He worthy of this?
He is!

My soul waits for you,
O Lord and Rock of my salvation!
For you alone ARE worthy!


Here ... in the hope of Christ ... I wait.

Comments

Popular Posts