Endless Shores of Grace

None of us have it all together.

We all struggle. We all make mistakes. We all wrestle with fear. We all need grace.


My friends, the past few months have been a struggle … sickness, COVID19 quarantine, financial fears, toilet paper fears, health fears, springtime allergies, springtime school burn-out, frustrations with isolation, frustrations with no date nights, moody teenagers, moody parents, a cranky toddler, kidney infections, death of a loved one, missing family, depression, dental work, trying to understand and navigate autism, vehicles & appliances breaking down, a leaking toilet, boredom, feeling overwhelmed, feeling lonely, feeling like I AM LOSING MY MIND … and then add in all the government and civil unrest. Needless to say (and I am SURE that I am not the only one to say this) the past few months have been HARD. Really hard. Then throw in the fact that my family wants to eat EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. (Anyone want to go halfsies on a personal chef?!) Then there’s that tiny little thing called homeschooling! We recently got a box of curriculum in the mail for next semester; it has sat unopened on our school table for the last 2 weeks. I have no desire to open the box. I am done, y’all. Done. Selling all our belongings and moving to the coast to un-school our children, while we surf and fish all day, is beginning to sound better by the minute!


But … there is grace.

COVID19 has caused me to turn inwards. I forgot the value and necessity of loving and serving others. Even the government was warning us to stay away from other people! It is so easy to put the blinders on and just “survive” as we deal with stress. But through all the ups and downs of 2020, I have been reminded yet again that we need one another.

There is great value in community. Each of us is gifted in unique ways that are beneficial for the community at large. Where I am weak, you are strong and vice versa. I need more extroverted people in my life to show me how to reach outside of my comfort zone. I need more even keel people (i.e. less emotional) in my life to help show me how to balance and navigate through seasons of depression and rejection. We all struggle in different (or perhaps similar) areas where others can help. We also have strengths that we can use to support and serve others. How beautiful!

The past two weeks, in particular, have been heartbreaking as we have watched our nation fall into chaos. Most days I have felt like a Star Trek character aboard the Starship Enterprise. “Captain’s log, day 457. More death. More hate. More distance.” It is gut-wrenching to watch the video of George Floyd take his last breath. My heart aches for the wives of the 4 Minneapolis police officers and weeps for the family of David Dorn, the retired police officer from St. Louis. As rioting and looting unfold every night on the news, my soul cries out to God pleading for PEACE. And, surprisingly, I have found myself becoming fearful of what to say and do when I am out buying groceries or hunting for an inflatable pool. (Folks, there is a MAJOR inflatable pool shortage in Memphis!!) Why am I suddenly gripped by fear? Where did this come from?


This week our neighbors put out a yard sign congratulating their graduating senior. We don’t know this family very well, but we decided to get their graduate a card and bless her with money. (Don’t you feel bad for all the graduates that missed out on graduations this year??!) As I was walking across the street in our neighborhood (where we are the minority), I was scared. What if they reject me? What if I say the wrong thing? What if this offends them? All of a sudden I had a million different scenarios playing through my head. (Ugh. How ridiculous!) But, that unexpected meeting ended up being the highlight of my week! The graduating senior was their granddaughter who lives in Mississippi. Her mama just happened to be visiting at the time I delivered her card. Wow! We had the best visit. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing their story and their daughter’s graduation plans. What a precious family! I am so glad that I got up the courage to visit with this family - no masks, no 6 feet of separation, no prejudices, no hate … just a lot of love and grace.

We all crave love. We all need grace.


I love how John Piper defines grace:
Grace is the scandalous, active, undeserved favor of God. The Christian life swims within the endless shores of his grace... God’s grace meets us moment by moment with unmerited kindness.

Christian grace, as opposed to a Victorian nicety, is tethered to the cross of Jesus. Grace bled that we might take our fill and extend it to others. The grace we give does not flow down from our moral highness; it flows down from the bloody Savior who rains grace upon his people. (All's Not Fair When Love Is War - July 29, 2017) 
Oh, for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer’s praise,
And for a thousand tongues to give my great Redeemer’s grace!
O Great God, THANK YOU for endless shores of Your grace! Help me to love, serve, and persevere as I am met with fears, hate, trials, and frustrations. May I be LIGHT in a darkened world. THANK YOU for the gift of community, especially within the Church where I have brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers in great abundance! What a gift! I am grateful for their strengths and how You have equipped each of us to serve one another.

Help me to be more like my older brother, Jesus ... Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Come quickly, precious Lamb and King ... We long to see You!
_________

Grace upon grace to you all.

Comments

Popular Posts